Rajasthan, India’s biggest state, is home to astonishing heritage sites, extravagant hotels, picturesque lakes and spellbinding desert stretches that look straight out of Arabian Nights. Embarking on a Rajasthan tour guarantees a visit to some of the grandiose palaces it houses, and the never-ending sand dunes of The Thar desert. Take a camel safari to explore Jaisalmer’s fabled dunes, witness the marvellous astronomical heritage of Jaipur’s Jantar Mantar, or have a romantic dinner in Udaipur’s City Palace – a trip to Rajasthan has so much to offer.We share with you in this blog the Rajasthan cities to visit, which you must not miss out.
It can be a daunting task to decide on which cities to cover in a Rajasthan tour package. We suggest the top three cities to visit in a Rajasthan tour that you just cannot afford to miss.
Nicknamed as the “Pink City of India”, the capital city of Jaipur houses glorious forts, monuments, temples, museums, and gardens. It is a bustling metropolis that leaves the tourists in sheer awe.It is this experience that has made us mention Jaipur in the list of Rajasthan cities to visit.
Best Places to Visit in Jaipur:
- Hawa Mahal: A stunning representation of the rich architectural expertise of the past, this five-storeyed monument of Hawa Mahal is a must-see tourist spot in Jaipur.
Timings to Visit: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Entry Fees: INR 50 (Indians) and INR 200 (Foreigners)
- Amer Fort: This majestic fort is made up of red sandstones and marble stones that reflect a blend of Hindu-Muslim architecture.
Timings to Visit: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Entry Fees: INR 100 (Indians) and INR 150 (Foreigners)
- Sisodia Rani Ka Bagh: The refreshing lush green lawns of this garden offer a great opportunity for a relaxing stroll. You can find murals of Radha-Krishna on display here.
Timings to Visit: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Entry Fees: INR 25
Things to Do in Jaipur:
Here is a list of some exciting things that you can do on your visit to Jaipur:
- Paragliding: Try paragliding with Fly boy for an out of the world experience and satiate your hunger for an adrenaline rush.
Fees: INR 1500 to INR 2500 (depending on the duration)
Duration: Between 10 minutes and half an hour
Hot Air Balloon Ride: Soar high in the sky on a hot air balloon ride over the mighty forts and palaces and enjoy an eagle’s eye view of the Pink City below.
Entrance Fees: INR 12000 to INR 13000
Duration: One hour
- Elephant Safari: You are never too old to enjoy an elephant ride. You can find elephant rides to Amer Fort or go around the Old Pink City.
Duration: 30 minutes to 2 hours (depending on the route you choose)
Also known as the Golden City, Jaisalmer boasts of a rich heritage and a fascinating culture. It showcases impressive palaces and an enchanting panorama of the desert. Jaisalmer is truly foremost among the Rajasthan cities to visit.
Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer:
- Jaisalmer Fort: This fort is also called as Sonar Qila and is one of the most iconic masterpieces of Jaisalmer.
Timings to Visit: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Entry Fees: INR 30, Camera- INR 50 and Video- INR 100
- Nath Mal Ki Haveli: Discover the story behind the architecture of this Haveli that was once the residence of Diwan Mohata Nathmal, Prime Minister of Jaisalmer.
Timings to Visit: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Entry Fees: INR 40
- Vyas Chhatri: Admire the beauty of this monument dedicated to sage Vyas, the writer of the epic Mahabharata.
Timings to Visit: 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Entry Fees: No entry fee
Things to Do in Jaisalmer:
Here is a list of some offbeat activities to do on your visit to Jaisalmer:
- Dune Bashing: The desert areas near Jaisalmer are swarmed by adventure enthusiasts to engage in this fun activity.
Location: Sam Sand Dunes
Fees: Starts from INR 2600
Duration: 6 hours
- Camel Safari: This is the best way to explore the pristine city of Jaisalmer for an unforgettable trip.
- Boating: This is one activity that is liked by kids and adults alike. A scenic boat ride at Gadisar Lake can be very relaxing and peaceful giving you plenty of time to enjoy with your family.
- Puppet Show: The Thar Heritage Museum conducts amazing puppet shows every evening. You can even buy hand-made puppets and other handicraft items from the souvenir shops at the museum.
Popularly known as the “Venice of the East”, Udaipur is one of the most spectacular cities in India that is home to beautiful palaces, temples, art galleries, museums, and lakes.The list of Rajasthan cities to visit remains incomplete without having Udaipur on board.
Best Places to Visit in Udaipur:
- City Palace: It is one of Rajasthan’s largest palaces which boasts of royal artefacts and is grandeur personified.
Timings to Visit: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Entry Fees: INR 50 (Adult), INR 30 (Child), Camera- INR 200
Crystal Gallery: INR 500 (Adult), INR 300 (Child)
Mewar Sound and Light Show: The Legacy of Honour (7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) – INR 150 (Adult) and INR 75 (Child)
Mewar Sound and Light Show: Yashki Dharohar (8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.) –INR 100 (Adult) and INR 50 (Child)
Lake Palace: Situated in the middle of Lake Pichola, this palace is one of the must-see tourist attractions of Udaipur. It was built by Maharana Jagat Singh II and is now known as the Taj Lake Palace, one of the most romantic hotels in the world.
Timings to Visit: Open 24 hours
- Jag Mandir Palace: This is another gorgeous palace that is situated on an island on the stunning Lake Pichola.
Timings to Visit: 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Things to Do in Udaipur:
Here is a list of some amazing activities to do on your visit to Udaipur:
- Trekking: Udaipur is blessed with the Aravalli mountain ranges in the backdrop that offer some amazing trekking trails. It is a great adventure to embark on if you are an adventure junkie.
Best time to trek: November to February
- Boat Ride to Jag Mandir Palace: This boat ride ensures mesmerising views of the scenic ghats and the city palace complex.
Entrance Fees: Regular Boat Ride- INR 300 (Adult), INR 150 (Child)
Sunset Boat Ride- INR 500 (Adult), INR 200 (Child)
Boat Charter- INR 4000 (up to 7 people)
Duration: One hour
- Short Helicopter Joy Ride: Fly over the spellbinding city of Udaipur and admire the aerial views of Lake Palace, Lake Pichola, and various other forts and temples.
Fees: INR 13000
Duration: 30 minutes
Fairs and Festivals in Rajasthan:
Here is a list of the top fairs and festivals in Rajasthan that add more zing to this incredible tourist destination:
- Summer Festival: This festival is a feast of folk and classical music that gives you an insight into the culture of Rajasthan.
Duration: 2 days, late May or early June
Location: Mount Abu
- Mewar Festival: This festival marks the advent of spring.
Duration: 2 days,late March or early April
- Mahaveerji Fair: This fair is held to honour the 24th Jain Tirthankara, Shri Mahavir Swami.
Duration: 1 day,March or April
- Pushkar Fair: This is one of the most famous festivals in Rajasthan which is celebrated every year and thousands of camel owners take parts in various events held during the festival.
Duration: 7 to 10 days, October or November
- Desert Festival: This festival is celebrated with great gusto amidst the golden sand dunes of the Thar Desert.
Duration: 1 day, January or February
Travel Tips for Rajasthan Tour:
Following are some useful travel tips for Rajasthan cities to visit:
- The best time to visit Rajasthan is in the winter season between October and February as the summer heat can get unbearable.
- You can carry light cotton clothing for the summers and woollens in winters as the night can get quite cold.
- Avoid drinking water outside and always carry a mineral water bottle with you.
- Shoes are not allowed inside the temples and you must not dress inappropriately if you plan to visit such religious sites.
- Photography is not allowed at some places or prior permission is needed in some cases. Make sure you don’t breach any rules.
- Do travel on ‘Palace on Wheels’, the luxury train that runs between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer if you are visiting these cities and want to experience the royalty of Rajasthan.
- Rajasthan is a paradise for any food lover. Some of the top food items to try in Rajasthan include the famous Dal Bati Churma, Pyaaz Kachori, Gatte ki sabzi, Ghevar and Balushahi.
Book your Rajasthan tour package with us and we guarantee you an unforgettable trip, the memories of which will last a lifetime.